Friday, September 18, 2009

What is the message?

There are some days when the job I have, and the work I do, becomes even more meaningful than the day before…

I try to talk with my mom every evening – she’s lives near Washington, D.C. and I usually only see her at the holiday’s. We almost lost her last year due to a serious infection and connecting with her has become a really important part of my day. She started seeing a rheumatologist late last year (after lots of nagging from me!) and has been getting what she feels to be good treatment, advice and support for her osteoarthritis. She’s got a pretty aggressive form of OA, so aggressive that other doctors she sees (cardiologist was the latest) question whether she really has OA or RA. She’s been tested for RA two different times, but each time it came back negative. She was pretty uncomfortable and worn out last night from just her regular, daily activities, and it made me think: what if she really DOES have RA, and we just don’t know it yet? The disease is so complicated and different for different people, is it possible that she’s received two false negatives? And if not, what other treatments are available for her OA so that she doesn’t have to deal with so much pain and fatigue? I’m comforted by and convinced that there are a lot of smart people out there conducting important research on how to prevent – control – and cure – arthritis.

There are a lot of people out there who aren’t aware of the impact of arthritis, the number of people affected, and the work that remains to be done. My job is to give them that message. Time to get back to work…

No comments: