Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Thank You!

Serving as the Volunteer and Outreach Coordinator at the Arthritis Foundation, Rocky Mountain Chapter, I am humbled each day by the generosity of others through donation of their time and talents. One of my favorite parts of my job is that I get to know volunteers as individuals. I get to hear about their family and friends, backgrounds, jobs, likes and dislikes, favorite memories and so much more! Together, our volunteers make up a beautiful and diverse patchwork of people.

As April is National Volunteer Month, it is fitting to take a moment to recognize the achievements of our over 300 chapter volunteers. In the last 10 days alone, volunteers represented the Arthritis Foundation at 45, 9Health Fair sites, allowing us to bring help and hope to so many people affected by arthritis.

There are so many reasons that bring volunteers to the Arthritis Foundation, some come because they have arthritis or a friend or family member is affected; it’s an :underdog” non-profit in comparison to the American Heart Association or American Cancer Society; and they just want to give something back in whatever way they can. One volunteer’s motivation to volunteer is that, “It gives all of my emotions toward arthritis and the way it affects my son action. It is one way (if the only way) I feel that I can have control over this disease and make all of [his] struggles not in vain.”

No matter what inspires you to volunteer, I thank you for everything!

No comments: