Monday, March 30, 2009

Thank you!

I consider myself to be extremely lucky to have a job at the Arthritis Foundation. As the Vice President of Programs I am able to see how the Chapter tries to deliver our mission through our public health programs, public policy and advocacy efforts, and research awards. I wear many hats in my position but something that is very dear to me is the opportunity to facilitate the monthly RA support group. This group has been meeting for about a year now and we have welcomed a variety of people every month. Ages have ranged from 17 all the way up to 80+. Although mostly women come, we also have some men who attend regularly. Sometimes we have speakers but we also have a lot of time for people to bring up their own issues. People say they come because they want to meet other people and get some ideas about how other people manage their medications, their diets, their families, or their jobs. There have been some tears but mostly I see people nodding their heads while others talk. They know what someone with RA is experiencing when they mention they had a bad flare last month or had to change their treatment again or are feeling really good and planning to go back to school or work. We celebrate the victories and we offer positive feedback when things are not so great. I hope that people who have RA and are looking for some extra support and information will come to our next group meeting on April 14 from 6:00 pm to 7:30 pm. But I also encourage people with RA who are doing really well and think they don’t need this kind of group to come and encourage others. Call me if you have any questions at 303-756-8622 ext. 229. Thanks for listening.

No comments: